Wednesday, July 9, 2008

My heart for encouraging the adoption of older children

It is 3:45 am and I can’t seem to get the older children waiting for their families off of my mind. God won’t let me. They are on His mind, too. How about yours?

What comes to your mind when you think about adopting an older child? Are you afraid to think about it? Do you think that it is not something you can handle? Do you have younger children and think that you can’t adopt out of birth order? Do the stories of difficulties others have had in their older child adoption come to mind? All of these things came to my mind before we decided to request our 8 year old son one year ago. I have been there. I understand.

We have had Zach home for 8 months now. It’s long enough to know that he is a precious gift. It is not long enough to know that we are past any possible difficulties that may still come our way. But, no matter what we have in store, we have been blessed and will continue to be blessed by our willingness to lay our decision at the sovereign feet of our Savior. The world would tell us that it is not wise to adopt an older child, especially an older boy. The world would tell us it is not wise to bring home a child older than our youngest. The world DID tell us “you and Steve are going to have nothing but trouble.”

Thankfully, we listened to the wisdom of our loving and merciful God, instead, and said “YES!” when He asked us to make Zach our son and brother. God’s wisdom is more compassionate, more loving and more complete than that offered by the world. The world only looks at the past and projects statistics to make us doubt the value of these older children and our responsibility for them as Christians. God gives us a future and a hope, and the knowledge that we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us.

We could have let the fear stop us. We could have let fear for our youngest daughter get in the way. We could have listened to others as they proclaimed nothing but doom and gloom over our decision. Knowing that this adoption could cause struggles for the children we currently had, we could have decided that we didn’t want to “do that to them.”

As I consider what we “did to them,” I can honestly say that we opened their world to a life of obedience to God. We took a step of faith and answered God’s call with the only answer we could give, and we did it with joy, not fear. We taught our children to see that God has a plan and a purpose for our lives that sometimes goes against what the world says we should do, but that God’s desires for us should come first. We taught them to value people more than things or “conventional wisdom.”

God wants to set the lonely in families (Psalm 68:5-6). Who could be more lonely, or more in need of a family, than an orphan? This verse does not exclude older children, or older boys. This verse does not say that the families into which He will set them must only have older children, if any. This verse is all inclusive of every lonely child, regardless of their circumstances, age or gender.

Adopting an older child is not for everyone. I am not implying that it is something everyone should do, nor can every family handle an out of birth order adoption. And I am not trying to imply that our story will be yours. Every child and every adoption is different. My plea -- my heart's cry -- is for more people to consider whether or not God is calling you to one of these precious children. The called and chosen of Christ are those who need to recognize their inestimable worth. If we don't, who will?

If God is calling you to be open to adopting an older child, please honor Him by looking into it. He wants you to get past the fear and trust Him wherever He takes you. Please request the files of some older children, look into their eyes, and understand that they simply want a home and a family to love them unconditionally. God will be with you. He always is. He loves you too much to give you more than you could handle. And He loves these children so much He is asking His chosen to care for them. Will you, if that is what He wants from you?

7 comments:

Darlene said...

Cindy,

Thanks for taking the time to share what is on your heart. Funny, but the night you were up writing this and couldn't sleep I was up til that late too..tossing and turning in bed. Rare for me not to be asleep.

I know that someone will read this and a seed will be planted or watered that will grow in someone's heart for an older child waiting for their family.

Blessings,
Darlene
Timmy's mom

Linda said...

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog. My daughter and son-in-law are currently on their way to China and will get their 2 yr old son in Shenyang on Monday. He has a cleft lip (repaired) and palate.
We are so excited and can't wait to meet him! (www.our-china-doll.blogspot.com) Reading all these wonderful blogs really helps in our anticipation!

Carrie said...

I just came across your website- I have a daughter who is 7 years old she has CP and We have been home from China 4 months- I found your site from Darlenes site- I do have a open to the public blog and a pirvate blog! If you ever want to chat let me know!
-Carrie

Steffie B. said...

OMW....I am sobbing.....this has been so heavy on my heart as we wait to bring home our second from China. We have a bio 14 girl, adopted 4 yo from Hunan, and a 3yo bio boy. I so have been praying for one in between them and just recently have been thinking about one a littel older than our 4 yo. But at this point it is whatever Bethany matches us with.

Thank you so much for this post and posting a response on the Bethany board! ;)

Steffie*

Steffie B. said...

sorry, that would be 2 yo bio boy....they are currently distracting me as I type! lol

Anonymous said...

I found your blog today following along with "Colombian Brewed." The Lord certainly directed me though because this message and the one from April 16, 2007 have helped to heal my heart today. Thank you so much. You say so eloquently what I feel in heart but can't find the words to express. My DH and I are in the process of adopting an older sib. group from Colombia. I have let "the world's" comments and thoughts get me down recently. I really appreciate you and thank the Lord for your sweet, powerful testimony. May I have permission to copy this and give is to some dear family members who somehow just don't "get it." They love us dearly and are supportive but yet don't understand. Again, many thanks.

Susan Nichols
susancnichols@bellsouth.net

Genece said...

Thank you for writing so much of what my heart feels! My husband and I returned from Colombia in Dec. 2007 adopting 3 siblings adding to the one child we had at home. Upon receiving our referral of our 3 new children, we received heavy opposition from our agency against acceptance citing we would encounter problems since there was only 34 days separating my bio daughter's age from my adopted son's. We listened as the agency voiced their concerns about how these children would not fit well in our family, all along believing a greater affirmation certainly would not come from the world's viewpoints and the way the so-called experts felt. Thankfully, we chose God's wisdom to guide us through! It was a tough 3 weeks being bombarded by discouraging words when we knew all along we were following the will of our Savior through acceptance of these children. The entire adoption process grew our Christian faith and spirit overwhelmingly, and we praise God for that every day!

We, too, obediently answered, "YES!!!" when called upon to make a family for these three children. We stood firm and looked beyond the worldly views trusting completely in our loving Father above. It's amazing how the agency's strong arguments, the basis for their strong opposition and greatest concerns for our family, never presented a problem whatsoever. Experts will stick with their beliefs that children so close in age will develop "artificial twin" characteristics, but in our family we have encountered only positive results. Amazingly, my daughter and my son established a close bond instantly and did naturally take on so many positive "twin" traits. It really is a joy, a wonderful sight, to watch them interact together. We have many blessings to be thankful for!

I am so glad I found your blog and to know there are others who faced very similar situations as we did, and were blessed through their obedience. Thank you for writing the words on your heart. I pray it will inspire many others to open their hearts and homes to the joys an older child/ren can bring into a family. May they stand firm when facing the opposition's negative words and move forward with faith in God's calling with the knowledge that all things are possible through Christ who strengthens us.
Genece
http://halfaskyaway.blogspot.com