Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Our arrival in Shenyang...

Today started out uneventfully. We walked around the hotel a little, came back and waited for our guide, Joy, to bring us to the airport for our flight to Shenyang. The plane took off as scheduled and, being a short flight, we barely had time to get settled in our seats before we were getting off again. It was hot in the cabin, so I took off my sweatshirt and the passport holder and placed it in the pouch in front of me.

Then it was every travelers worst nightmare, especially those traveling with adoption as their goal. I left the passport holder which held nearly $5000 in cash along with our passports in the pouch and did not think of it until after we had our luggage and had met our guide, Maggie. She ran with me to the police station, and explained the situation. From my perspective, they didn't seem to have the urgency required (of course I couldn't understand a word being said). Two officers were sent in search of the plane we just disembarked. We sat there for over 20 agonizing minutes. Occasionally, the officer's phone would ring and Maggie would ask another question (how much money was in the pouch? Are you sure your seats were 12A & B?). The longer we waited, the more questions they asked, the more we prayed. I realized that it was in God's hands, and I could do nothing but pray. What would happen if that money was gone? What would we do without our passports?

Just as if it seemed there was no hope because it was taking so very long, the phone rang and we were told that it had been found!. A cleaning lady had turned it in. We were cautiously hopeful that everything was intact. Finally, they brought it in for us to inspect. Praise God! It was all there, every last dollar, both passports, everything!

I have to admit that I did not want to share this story. How careless of me! I still can't think about it without getting angry at myself. But, as Steve pointed out, we have to share how wonderfully God worked this out for us. In a way, it was further confirmation that God does indeed want us to bring Zachary home. It is literally a miracle that this potentially horrible story turned out the way it did. God made sure we had the money. He made sure nothing was delayed. He made sure we had no reason to turn back now (not that we would have...) We give Him all the glory for this day!

And tomorrow, we are going to receive another miracle.

6 comments:

Lisa said...

OMG,

My heart was in my stomach reading this. It truly is the worst nightmare an adopting family (or anyone for that matter) can have happen to them.

So very glad that all turned out ok. I want to wish luck tomorrow when you meet your handsome son. I will be following your journey as we wish to one day adopt an older boy from China.

Good Luck to you and your family.

Lisa

Anonymous said...

Cindy,
Oh no, don't feel bad as that is something I would do too. But like you say it's just another miracle and something to remember for everyone reading how awesome the Lord is when he is watching over us.

We continue to pray and can't wait to hear news of you meeting your son.

Blessings,
Darlene

Terry said...

Oh my, you must have gotten a few grey hairs over that one! But the Lord is with you.

Zachary is one special little boy!

Terry<><

Anonymous said...

So happy to hear that everything was found safe and sound!! Praise the Lord!!

Anonymous said...

I almost started crying reading your story and Brian was breathless. There is nothing so horrifying to an adoptive parent! So excited that God worked it out for you. He holds us in the palm of His hand! Can't wait to here about your first day. Praying for Zach, Steve and you today!

Love
The Tice's

Sandi & Dennis said...

My heart also went into my stomach reading this post and I was so happy to see that it ended good! I can't wait to see the pictures of you and Zachary!!