Sunday, October 14, 2007

Our Day in Dalian


Sunday, our day of sightseeing was simply shopping. I was hoping for a chance to get some gifts and souvenirs, but we were taken to a very expensive department store, at which we could buy very expensive clothes! I think the Chinese people assume all Americans are very wealthy. Anyway, we were able to get Zach two pairs of pants for more than we would have paid at home. The director of the orphanage was with us and we had the feeling we were expected to buy some things for our child. So we did.

After that, we decided to bring Zach's ball to the square two blocks from the hotel to play catch. When we arrived we were immediately approached by a woman who obviously wanted to practice her English on us. She asked about the history of America. Anyone who knows Steve would know that this is right up his alley! He started with 1760 and moved his way through the revolution, civil war and an explanation of our government system with the House and Senate! We had quite a crowd around us, with another teenager practicing her English on me. Then, I ended up helping a student with his application to get into school in the UK. He asked if I would help with his grammar. It was quite a day.

It makes me nervous when anyone but those we have been working with speak to Zach or Hannah in Chinese. Their expression is sometimes so sad, you just want to know what they said so that you can explain away anything that may have been hurtful.

The pictures are of the time at the park. Zach and Hannah did get to play a little and giggled and laughed the whole time.

**There will be more pictures added of the time at the park. Blogger.com was having temporary issues when I tried to upload the other 2 pictures.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steve, Cindy, and Zach, We are so excited to see you all together. Alex and I were having a hard time sharing a computer so he is currently upstairs on another computer trying to catch up. I have been praying for your family. Alex is very excited about having someone to teach about the thrills of tormenting sisters!! (Since he has none of his own - I guess he wants to live through your son). We will talk when you get home. I just thought I would give you a "heads up". Congratulations and we can't wait to meet the newest member of your family.

THE CARROLL's

Anonymous said...

Hello again,

I commented yesterday, but I don't see that it was posted, so I will comment again. I am soo drawn to this web site, I think I check it 5 times a day for updates and to just reread the journey. I showed Luke the pictures so far and he said,"He sure looks like a happy boy!" He was very inquisitive as to how he was going to be able to talk to a friend who did not speak English. We talked about what it would be like to be in Zach's position. After a while he decided Maddie and Eliza could help with communication.

This whole process has been so awesome. God set Zach right here, right now, into your family. Thus, into our lives as well. We are so looking forward to meeting him.

Praising God,

Melanie

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Steve & Cindy,

Natasha and I check your blog every morning. What a blessing to watch you every step of the way.

We had our elder meeting last night and prayed for you both, for Zach and the family. We love you and can't wait to see you when you return.

Enjoy these days, they are absolutely amazing!!

BT